Re: Hurd IPC (client side)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Hurd IPC (client side)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 22:39:45 +0100

Hi!

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 10:48:49AM -0500, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> The latter problem can be solved using some preprocessor magic to
> transform calls from `file_chown (uh, owner, group)' to `file_chown
> (uh.server, uh.handle, owner, group)'.

I think using macro for this is probably not a good idea.  A simple example is
that something like

  user_handle_t *p;
  err = file_chown (*(p++), owner, group);

would work on Hurd/Mach but fail on Hurd/L4 where file_chown is a macro.  And
there are other thing which would fail too.

Having a library in between the client code and the actual RPCs could avoid
that.  What do you think would be the best way to unify client code for the
various Hurd implementations?

Thanks,
Ludovic.