Re: drivers for l4-hurd

From: Espen Skoglund
Subject: Re: drivers for l4-hurd
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:08:16 +0100

[Jvrg Sonnenberger]
> I agree that different buses have different features and so
> different interfaces. But there should be some kind of basic API,
> f.e. getting an IO-Mapping for ISA and PCI should be the same. This
> could save "porting" time for identical devices on different bus
> systems. E.g. some graphic adapters have both AGP and PCI versions.

People have already invested large amounts of work in getting such an
interface implemented.  Take a look at NetBSD's newbus stuff which has
also been imported into FreeBSD (and OpenBSD?).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/newbus.html

   http://www.daemonnews.org/200007/newbus-intro.html

The newbus scheme incorporates all the bus/device probing, attaching,
suspending, resuming, etc.  In addition, the APIs for the drivers
(including busses) are neatly written in IDL files.

        eSk