Re: auth handshake and rendevouz objects

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: auth handshake and rendevouz objects
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:22:56 +0100

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:19:22AM -0600, Tom Hart wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >You don't want the server do the work for A.  All the burden of sending a
> >blocking message to B should be on A, not on S.
>
> Something my prof and I were discussing: why should A block on sending a
> message to B? Doesn't it make more sense for A to create a "courier"
> thread that does the blocking IPC on A's behalf?

Because that's what you normally want.  If a user needs asynchronous
operation, you can always create a thread for that yourself, while getting
synchronous operation with asynchronous being the default is impossible (or
very hard).

In short, I have no idea why you would anything but a blocking (but
interruptible) send here.

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/