Re: thread ids, task ids and subsystems

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: thread ids, task ids and subsystems
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:57:11 +0200

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 05:20:06PM +0200, Niels Möller wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Let us say that this belongs into its own interface, and I agree.  If there
> > should be two distinct server processes, or one process implementing two
> > interfaces, that is something I am contemplating.
>
> That sounds perfectly reasonably to me. That should make it possible,
> for instance, for one user process to use the system's task-and-proc
> server for the task-interface, and at the same time use its own custom
> proc server.

Note that this is even true for the proc server itself.  Whereever the proc
server needs to use the official task interface, it can often use local IPC
and its still very fast.  So, if you are careful about the interface and
implementation of proc, you could potentially use the same proc server
standalone as well as with a different task server.

Of course, this is just playing around with ideas.  If we are that far, it
might just as well make sense to have two different servers, as long as
performance is not affected too much.  It depends a lot on the actual
details of the interface, and there is also some room for tweaking.

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/