Re: Creating a floppy image for bochs

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Creating a floppy image for bochs
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:28:33 +0100

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 04:11:02PM +0100, Niels M?ller wrote:
> I've installed bochs now. Since I didn't find any quick start
> instructions, I'll describe how I attempt to boot hurd-l4 on it.

I recommend to have a hard disk (or floppy) image which has GRUB on it that
uses tftpboot to get the files, including the menu(!) file.

This is the most convenient setup, as you don't need to ever change your
image.  The only drawback is the need of the tun module and thus root
permission.

> smoothly. To make automake 1.8 happier, some quotes should be added to
> acinclude.m4,
>
>   -AC_DEFUN(HURD_LOAD_ADDRESS,
>   +AC_DEFUN([HURD_LOAD_ADDRESS],

I will check it in when I salvaged my Savannah account, ugh.

> Some questions: I turned on the obvious debug flags when building the
> kernel (CONFIG_DEBUG, CONFIG_KDB_CONS_KBD, CONFIG_VERBOSE_INIT). What
> else need I do to get more verbose output during the startup? Would it
> be better to use serial output, and somehow let bochs redirect the
> serial output to somewhere I can read it?

It can be useful to have serial output if you want to catch teh verbose
output of laden and wortel.  I suggest to have both variants around.  There
is a hidden possibility to get debug output from sigma0, I am not sure I
have the hack in the source, it involves a simple IPC.  It's not important
though.  In fact, having verbose outpout from any of the main L4 components
is not important.  The kdbg is useful though.  Just cause a $3 interrupt to
enter it from the source.

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/