Re: L4-Hurd; device drivers

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: L4-Hurd; device drivers
Date: 19 Jan 2004 21:11:48 +0100

"Christopher Nelson" <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess I don't understand why the physmem server and the task server
> don't need to be running.  The design doc cleary states that bus drivers
> may even need to load modules from disk to support themselves, which
> sounds to me like most of the initial system needs to be up before
> device drivers can run.

The word "most" is not very precise, but it seems reasonable to say
that the task server and memory server will be started before the
device driver stuff.

> It seems to me that the information on the webpage for L4/Hurd is
> misleading, since it points to a strong desire to use the Linux DDE
> stuff.  Probably that should be removed.

Which webpage? The one at http://www.nongnu.org/l4hurd/ is not quite
up to date.

> I would be happy to write the deva (including omega_0) from the
> specifications in the docs directory, if that is the latest.

It's a little tricky to figure out in which order to do things. It's
hard to write any "real" hurd l4 code until the capability library
exists, or at least has a reasonably fixed interface. So that's very
important. And it's also important to work on the early booting stuff,
if for no other reason because it's more fun to work on the other
things if you can hook them in and try to actually run them.

I expect that much of the code that is written over the next few
months will be kind of prototypish, much of it will be replaced when
other pieces come into place and matures.

Regards,
/Niels