Persistance (was: Re: The idea of an own L4)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Persistance (was: Re: The idea of an own L4)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 05:29:19 +0200

Hi,

> Also, kernel object management is pretty important to me, if we want
> at least orthogonal persistence.

"At least"?...

Unless I'm missing something very crucial, unless I've completely
misunderstood the way EROS works, I can confidently claim that
orthogonal persistance is something we definitely do *not* want. It
wouldn't help the goals of the Hurd at all. Actually, I'm pretty sure it
would hinder them.

I *do* believe we want some kind of session management (beyond passive
translators) at some point. But I doubt this is something that should be
implemented at kernel level; and I also doubt this is a thing that needs
serious consideration at this stage.

I've written up some of my thoughts on this at

   http://tri-ceps.blogspot.com/2005/09/persistance-vs-insistance.html

-antrik-