instance and instantiator

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: instance and instantiator
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:52:55 +0100

At Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:11:37 -0400,
Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> It is often true that subprograms trust their instantiator, but it is
> not always true. In EROS and Coyotos this assumption is not necessary.
> We have a number of programs that wield capabilities that their users do
> not (and must not ever) possess. The ability to use and guard these
> capabilities against a hostile creator is one of the foundations of our
> security.
>
> These "suspicious subsystems" do *not* trust capabilities provided by
> their creator. They verify them. In particular, almost *all* of our
> programs test their space bank to learn whether it was a valid space
> bank.

Are these program instances those started via a meta-constructor?  If
not, how do they get these other capabilities that the instantiator
didn't possess?

What if the instantiator deallocates the space bank in the middle of a
critical operation (thus rendering the object in a partially updated
state)?

Thanks,
Neal