Re: cap exchange race with map/unmap

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: cap exchange race with map/unmap
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:03:13 +0200

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:38:44AM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Bas:
>
> In order to make sure that your mental picture of this protocol is
> precise, could you please resend it using my expanded notation, where
> every transfer is explicitly state?

Sure.  Given that the only primitive operation is REVOCABLE COPY, all arrows
are REVOCABLE COPYs.

First client A requests a capability from server S via capability server C.
The result is

   rev copy      rev copy
S ----------> C ----------> A

Then A copies the capability to client B, using the capability server to do
it, resulting in:

   rev copy      rev copy
S ----------> C ----------> A
               \
                `---------> B
                 rev copy

> > I note that the capability server as a library approach isn't being
> > discussed at the moment.  Is there something wrong with it?
>
> As a transitional implementation for application bringup it's fine, but
> I suspect that it is insecure. Can you describe it under a new subject
> line, or point me at an existing description in the email archives?

I could, but Marcus just convinced me that there's not really a point in
discussing it.  It has all the problems of a capability server process, and
probably some more.  If it should be discussed at all, then that should be
after we've reached some conclusions about the capability server as a process.
If you want some description anyway, let me know.  I'm not sure if anything is
written out, I learned most about it by reading the source.

Thanks,
Bas