Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:06:35 +0200

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 01:33:31PM -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> I have hesitated to suggest this after Linus's most recent faux pas, but
> I think that there may be something more useful to do than coding.

You sound like I'm suggesting to stop discussing the design and instead start
coding.  While I'm not sure if this is what you think I meant, I want to
clarify that I wasn't proposing that at all.

I think discussing the design is very important.  However, I know that I get a
better understanding of constructions when I play with them.  This is true in
the mechanical, electonics, and programming world.  I assumed I was not the
only one, and suggested to start playing with the things we are discussing,
but we should be doing that while continuing the discussions.

The only risk we take with that is that we may decide to keep the crap we've
written while still learning about the principles.  But I think we're
competent enough to realise the value of it and start from scratch when we
know what we want to make. :-)  (Not with the whole system, but only with the
crappy parts)

Thanks,
Bas