Re: POSIX Layer / Emulation

From: Leonardo Lopes Pereira
Subject: Re: POSIX Layer / Emulation
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:15:34 -0300

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:32:40 +0200
"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <address@hidden> wrote:

>    AMS said that EMACS is a example that software that could be
>    problematic to port to this new design, but on
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ has systems that are not
>    implementations of POSIX, like MS DOS.
>
> Emacs runs in a POSIX enviroment on MS-DOG if I recall correctly (it
> uses DJGPP which emulates large parts of POSIX or so), same deal for
> the Windows port.

So, you agree that it's possible emulate POSIX in a non POSIX system, this is a
good point =)

>    I am not able to see how hard is implement a layer (or an emulator)
>    to support legacy POSIX programs on the detriment of a POSIX system
>    that has almost no techinical advantage. I am not saying that he is
>    wrong, but I am not undertanding Alfred's point of view.
>
> What you are saying more or less is that GNU programs (existing ones)
> shouldn't run nativley on the GNU system, don't you find that a bit
> silly/weird/strange/etc?

If we create a layer, they will run natively on this new design. And, as I
said, many programs could be adapted to use the best resources of this new
design, others will need to run on a special layer/emulator as long as they are
not adapted to run in the best way of this new design.

This is not silly/weird/strange/etc. Many systems do that when they do big
changes on their design, why we cannot do that?

leonardolopespereira at gmail.com

GNU Privacy Guard (GPG)
ID da chave: 83E8AFBF | servidor: keys.indymedia.org
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-keys 83E8AFBF