Re: Changing from L4 to something else...

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Changing from L4 to something else...
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:54:46 +0200

    Yeah, possibly. I won't comment on this, because I don't fully
   understand all of the Hurd yet either. I think we should look
   forward, but we should be doing a cost-benefit analysis at the
   same time and base some of our decisions off of it. I can't speak
   for Alfred, but I think that's what he really wants. I think Alfred
   wishes to remain practical. Not that I think anyone else here is
   impractical, but I think a cost-benefit analysis is a practical way
   to determine if the project can be done in a reasonable amount of
   time with whatever goals we decide.

Well put.

    It would suck if they decided not to cooperate. In that case,
   though, why can't we fork the code into a GNU project? Those
   projects, AFAIK, are open source. I know this sounds like overhead
   we don't want, but we already have GNU Mach, which is already
   maintained by GNU.

Please note that the GNU project isn't open source, it is free
software.

As for forking, I don't mind that.  It will cause less headaches
sometimes.