Re: A comment about changing kernels

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: A comment about changing kernels
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:49:01 +0100

At Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:27:20 +0200,
Bernhard Kauer wrote:
> > > Beside this, both operations are implementable with around 30 lines of
> > > code each, which makes these features not very critical.
> >
> > Which features do you mean exactly?
>
> The copy() and identification operation.

What my questions were trying to elicit was an explanation of why copy
is not required.  For me this means that either L4.sec allows us to
construct systems such as the Hurd on L4.sec using other operations or
it means that L4.sec is not an appropriate platform for systems such
as the Hurd.  If the former can you please provide an explanation of
how this should be done.  Details are highly appreciated.  If L4.sec
isn't intended to be a host for systems such as the Hurd, I'd love to
hear that as well.

Thanks,
Neal