Re: Sysadmins

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Sysadmins
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 15:52:58 -0500

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 20:09 +0000, Brian Brunswick wrote:
> On 05/11/05, Jonathan S. Shapiro <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 20:25 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> > > The hardware can refuse to run anything that hasn't been authorised by
> > > the manufcuter of treacherous computing hardware.
> >
> > This is an issue that I have actually tracked very closely.
> >
> > To my knowledge, there is no such feature in any currently proposed or
> > implemented TC hardware. Can you please identify a specification that
> > supports your assertion?
> >

> XBox, Playstation...?

Good. I had forgotten those. But we are discussing general-purpose
devices here, and I should have constrained my question to the TPM and
TC proposals that are being proposed for computers.

And honestly, I don't see a problem with XBox or Playstation. It's the
user's right to buy a crippled device.

If we want to argue that Hurd should not be ported to a system that
precludes installation of some other operating system, I have no
objection to this. However, this would not preclude running on systems
that implement either the TPM or the TCPA chips.