Re: awareness + flexibility + security

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: awareness + flexibility + security
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:52:16 -0500

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 16:40 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Following the DRM discussion, we may want to explicitly add the GNU project
> freedoms to the design principles.

Good idea, bad implementation.

We should add GNU project freedoms to a new category, ethical
principles, and we should then derive and capture design principles from
these.

Technical principles are hard enough to deal with as-is. Mixing them
with statements that are too far removed to be useful during development
discussions is a recipe for disaster. We defintely should not forget the
principles you are talking about, but we should be clear about how we
are applying them and why.