Re: shared "system" libraries

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: shared "system" libraries
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:31:50 -0500

Marcus:

This is a *terrific* set of questions. Let me stir the pot a little.

There is a parallel set of issues: we would actually like to reduce the
use of shared libraries in favor of confined subsystems. Shared
libraries are appropriate where the performance of a procedure call is
required or an extensive shared memory interface exists. Confined
subsystems should be used for relationships between larger subsystems.

The versioning and retention issues are identical. I just wanted to
point out that we need to address this problem in both places.

I'll respond to some of your questions momentarily.