Re: Is there any benchmark of coyotos vs. l4?

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Is there any benchmark of coyotos vs. l4?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:43:19 +0200

On 4/22/06, MT Rezaie <address@hidden> wrote:
> Or any other oses to see how coyotos team integrated features that
> they call into system?

Benchmarks?

How do you benchmark two very different kernels?
Even if there is something already running on top of EROS I suspect it
is not comparable to L4linux.
And l4linux is just a hack to have something running on top of l4, it
does not use its full capabilities.

The L4sec and Coyotos are not finished yet so you cannot get
benchmarks of those.

No benchmark can estimate how fast a system will be when it is not yet designed.
If it fits well the used kernel it may be much better at some things
than l4linux. And possibly worse at other.

But even if the system is several times slower than GNU/Linux it is
not necessarily a problem.
If it offers superior features I would go for it. Anyway, most
slowdown is not caused by the kernel and system design but by bloated
GUIs.

Thanks

Michal