Re: [Hurd-NG] Error in dir_rename pseudo-code

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: [Hurd-NG] Error in dir_rename pseudo-code
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:40:50 +0200

At Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:12:44 +0200,
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> I don't know if it has any importance, but it seems to me that the code
> given in the rationale of the dir_rename method is false.
>
> When dir == new_dir and name == new_name, and if exlcusive is false,
> then it will move the entry to itself, and then unlink it.

Good point.  Well, the code is just illustrative, and currently there
is no generic mechanism described which would allow you to check if
dir == new_dir (there is no eq? operation on capabilities).  So, one
would have to be careful not to invoke such a sequence in the first
place.

Even if there were an eq? operation, it would require disclosing
new_dir to dir (or vice versa), invalidating one of my arguments in
favor of this implementation.  So, it is important that you pointed it
out.

I will make a note about that and see what we can do about it at a
later point.