Re: Some thoughts

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Some thoughts
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:13:42 +0200

Hi,

"Michael D. Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> The term verification implies using mathematical proof.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_verification

Exactly, that's what I had in mind.

Certification (or "attestation" [0]), OTOH, is informal and
non-technical: "I'm an expert and trust me, this program really does
what it claims to do".

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] The TPM architecture overview

(https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/groups/TCG_1_0_Architecture_Overview.pdf)
    uses the word "attestation" instead of "certification".  However,
    the description of attestation (Section 4.1.2), as far as I
    understand it, suggests that the attestation process boils down to
    digitally signing data/code or verifying digital signatures.