Re: pistachio compilation fails

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: pistachio compilation fails
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:15:44 +0200

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:16:25PM +0200, Christian H?tter wrote:
> Hi list,

Hi,

> trying to compile pistachio

The lack of response you are experiencing is due to the status of the project
at this point.  We are not going to use pistachio, so I don't think anyone of
us is actually doing things with it.

I'm not sure if it's useful to play around with it anyway.  It probably is at
least useful to read the specification, to get a feeling for how microkernels
work.  Don't get lost in details though, pistachio does not provide the
security we want (well, it could with redirectors, but that'd probably kill
performance).

> (on Debian/Linux testing with gcc 4.0.3-4)
> results in the following error messages (CVS version; README-patches
> from hurd-l4 applied; after running make BUILDDIR=... in the kernel dir
> and make menuconfig in the $BUILDDIR):
>
> ...=path-to-pistachio/kernel/src/glue/v4-ia32
>
> .../init.cc: In function 'u8_t get_apic_id()':
> .../init.cc:118: error: 'local_apic_t' was not declared in this scope
> .../init.cc:118: error: 'apic' was not declared in this scope
> .../init.cc: In function 'void init_bootmem()':
> .../init.cc:484: warning: minimum/maximum operators are deprecated
> .../init.cc: In function 'void startup_system()':
> .../init.cc:693: error: 'local_apic_t' was not declared in this scope
> .../init.cc:693: error: 'local_apic' was not declared in this scope
> .../init.cc:704: error: 'class intctrl_t' has no member named
> 'get_lapic_map'
> make[1]: *** [src/glue/v4-ia32/init.o] Fehler 1
>
> I haven't found a solution for this problem on the net; any suggestions
> what to do would be great.

Hmm, I remember that the L4 include files were needed in the include path or
something, but I think that was only for building the Hurd servers, not the
kernel itself.  Not sure though.  Doesn't it complain about missing include
files?  You could also try to use gcc 2.95.  Later versions are a lot stricter
on some things, and the code is quite old.

HTH,
Bas