Re: Hurd translators on FUSE

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: Hurd translators on FUSE
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:52:11 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 02:23:00AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 08:23:57AM +0300, Sergiu Ivanov wrote:
>
> > And I think I can remember somebody from the Hurd community having
> > tried to show the advantage of the Hurd way and ran into an attitude
> > like: ``Why do we need a Hurd, if we already have FUSE?'' :-(
>
> Indeed this is a problem -- translators were the most visible advantage
> of the Hurd archtecture; and now that FUSE covers most of the obvious
> use cases, it's much harder to sell then before...
>
> In my latest Hurd talk, I didn't even try presenting translators as a
> feature on its own. Rather, I just explained them as an element of the
> extensible VFS concept -- which is part of the Hurd's fundamental idea
> of a user-extensible system environment. (And the one I covered in most
> detail of course, as it's the most evident part, with the most examples
> available.)

Hm, this is a good idea.  I guess I'll borrow this idea from you when
I'll be delivering some Hurd-related presentation at my University (if
you don't mind, of course).  Though. unfourtunately, I haven't yet run
into an audience who know for sure what a kernel is, to tell nothing
about FUSE or translators :-)

Regards,
scolobb