Re: sustainable development

From: arnuld uttre
Subject: Re: sustainable development
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:50:52 +0530

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:04 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, that's essentially the RedHat model; but there is one more
> important ingredient to it: trademarks. While .....
> ... SNIP......

> In a true free software economy, no artificial scarcity need to be
> created at all. Customers do not pay for the ability to use particular
> "products" (not even indirectly through branding), but rather for the
> further development of the software. Developers charge for the actual
> work being done -- and once payed, the availability of the results
> doesn't need to be restricted.

and I thought RedHat model was in the true spirit of  running a free
software business. They give the sources to anyone to do anything with
it. So I don't think it matters if the CDs containing binaries are
patented, I have the source. Though you are right in saying, people
buy it because of "The Brand". As per experience Ubuntu and Red Hat
are two worst distros I have ever experienced as Linux user,  After so
much of bad experience I promise myself never ever to use them again.

2nd, why would a customer will pay when gets binaries and sources and
updates and everything ? (from the point of business)

> My point is that the proprietary software developers at Microsoft and
> Apple do not really make more money than free software developers at
> RedHat and Intel, or the custom software developers at CSC... The people
> who earn a lot for money with Microsoft or Apple, are a handful of
> investors and managers -- they get a lot of money for building and
> running a company, not for developing software. Actual software
> development almost always happens on a regular salary. The idea some
> people seem to have that developing proprietary software is a way to get
> rich, is just totally detached from reality.

Well, I am in Hyderabad (INDIA). Here M$ pays 90,000-150,000 INR per
month (INdian Rupees) to freshers with strong skills i programming.
The average salary of a fresher (programmer) in India will be 15000
(my colleague earns that) and you come to 45,000 only after 3 years of
experience with a Engineering degree (no other graduates) which is
just 50% of the minimum level of M$. I earn 20,000 (= 1000 USD) and I
think it will take another 15-20 years before I get to that 90,000
level. I don't know how much Red Hat pays but 90,000 for programming
is big money.

If I go into management then may be I could start earning that amount
of money in 5 years but I am not interested in management, I use Linux
and Emacs because I love them and they are my tools even for my daily
use of a computer. I started programming because I love it and I will
do programming all of my life.

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/the-lost-love-of-mine/