libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] libcdio release roadmap

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio release roadmap
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:50:08 -0500

Hey everyone -

I just wanted to give everyone a "heads up" on where things stand with
libcdio. The next release seems like it is going to change the API quite a
bit with Thomas Schmitt's changes. These include accessing the SCSI sense
reply and allowing for Read/Write access to a drive. Possibly there will be
better DVD and Blu Ray support too.

As a result, I'm thinking about bumping the version number a bit to indicate
this. For example version 0.90  which right now I am thinking of for a May
11 release. How's that for long-term planning!

Meanwhile, Thomas Schmitt has a put out new release of libburnia. See for
example http://www.libburnia-project.org/ or
http://freshmeat.net/projects/libburnia/releases/311319  . This release has
the ability to use the libcdio code that Thomas put in assist in writing and
setting/respecting locks on drive access.

But right now, only two of the drivers support write access. So to get this
into wider use and hopefully encourage others to join in, it would probably
be good to do an interim experimental release which will set
LIBCDIO_VERSION_NUM to 83 which tells libburnia that it's okay to use that
for writing.