libcdio-devel

Re: [Libcdio-devel] Build obstacles and warnings from GNU/Linux and Fre

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Build obstacles and warnings from GNU/Linux and FreeBSD 8
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:52:06 -0400

Sorry to take so long to get around to.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when preparing for the test of libcdio on
> FreeBSD 8 i ran into some problems with the
> current state in git.

> I did on GNU/Linux:
>  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/libcdio.git
>  cd libcdio
>  ./autogen.sh
>  ./configure
>  make
> and got
>  libcdio.texi:4: @include `version.texi': No such file or directory.
>
> make succeeds after
>  touch doc/version.texi

This code is all from automake and follow its wacky rules. Removing
stamp.vti will cause version.texi to get recreated. But I really don't want
folks especially those who have commit rights to start creating and checking
in stamp.vti.

> The attempt to build libcdio.info must be quite
> new. My cheat sheet still instructs me to copy
> it from the 0.82 release tarball before doing
> make dist.

> I made a tarball and copied it to FreeBSD.
>
> On FreeBSD 8-RELEASE i get after
>  tar xzf ... && cd ...
>  ./configure --without-versioned-libs
>  make
> this error
>  /usr/bin/perl ./pod2c.pl  >usage.h
>  Expecting exactly one argument, a filename at ./pod2c.pl line 6.
>  *** Error code 255
>
> On GNU/Linux the command is
>  /usr/bin/perl ./pod2c.pl usage.txt >usage.h
> so i could copy the resulting usage.h to FreeBSD.
> Then make succeeded.

You probably are using a BSD make where $< isn't defined. I have changed the
code to remove $<. Still, use GNU Make since no doubt other things will crop
up.

And by the way, for weirdnesses regarding Makefile as both of these things
are, use the GNU Make debugger "remake". Often "remake -x" is sufficient.
That's what I use. ;-)

> The file
>  src/cd-paranoia/usage.txt
> exists in tarball and on FreeBSD.
>
> This error does not occur on 8-STABLE.

> I see warnings with make on both FreeBSD 8:
>
>  cdda-player.c: In function 'display_cdinfo':
>  cdda-player.c:878: warning: the address of 'artist' will always evaluate
> as 'true'
>  cdda-player.c:879: warning: the address of 'title' will always evaluate as
> 'true'
>  cdda-player.c:880: warning: the address of 'genre' will always evaluate as
> 'true'
>  cdda-player.c:881: warning: the address of 'year' will always evaluate as
> 'true'

Known about this for a while, but I don't know of a solution.

> Building GNU xorriso-0.5.6 with --enable-libcdio
> on FreeBSD 8 produces warnings about
> libcdio .h files. Like:
>
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/dvd.h:61: warning: type of bit-field
> 'book_version' is a GCC extension
>
> The problem is in this line
>  uint8_t book_version  : 4;
>
> Although the complaint is very picky, one should
> consider to derive the bit fields from more
> fundamental types.
> E.g. this does not complain:
>  unsigned int book_version  : 4;

unsigned int is not necessarily the same as uint8_t and the field
represented is an 8-bit unsigned quantity.

> Objected header files:
>  include/cdio/dvd.h
>  include/cdio/audio.h
>  include/cdio/mmc.h

> Forthermore i see these warnings:
>
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/sector.h:125: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/device.h:246: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/track.h:83: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/mmc.h:125: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/mmc.h:258: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/mmc.h:295: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/mmc.h:304: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list
>  /usr/local/include/cdio/mmc.h:404: warning: comma at end of enumerator
> list

I like to have the comma at the end because it allows one to add to the list
without having to remember to add a comma.

> Line 125 in include/cdio/mmc.h seems to bear a
> typo:
>
>        CDIO_MMC_SENSE_KEY_OBSOLTE         = 12,
>    } cdio_mmc_sense_key_t;
>
> Shouldn't that have been
>        CDIO_MMC_SENSE_KEY_OBSOLETE        = 12,

Yep. Fixed in git now. Thanks.