libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio-0.83git on Solaris snv134 sees no drives

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio-0.83git on Solaris snv134 sees no drives
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 13:16:19 +0200

Hi,

> Good to hear you've got this compiled and haven't given up on libcdio yet.

This was my third sincere attempt to install
Solaris. Finally i succeeded with the friendly
support of Seth Goldberg whom i learned to
know at address@hidden .

> >  ../../include/cdio++/iso9660.hpp:151: error:
> >  expected identifier before numeric constant
> >  class FS : public CdioDevice // ISO 9660 Filesystem on a CD or CD-image
> >  #undef FS

> Ok. But since this change is inside a header, the impact of this change
> could be great. I wonder whether this might cause problems in C++ code that
> needs assumes FS is a macro.

I made a shot in the dark because i knew the
error message from an own clash with Linux macro
HZ years ago.

Probably it is better to consider changing
the identifier FS in libcdio. A global identifier
of only two capital letters is prone to such
interference.

The value of FS is 1.
It gets defined by
  #include <cstdlib>
but i cannot spot its definition in
  /usr/gcc/4.3/include/c++/4.3.3/cstdlib

> >  ../config.h:332:1: warning: "_FILE_OFFSET_BITS" redefined
> I've gotten up to report.c.

Correction:
>  example/isofile.c (config.h)
should have been
   example/isofile.c (portable.h)

> If you take a look at how the changes were made and do the rest
> like that and send a patch for the rest I'll apply that patch.

I'll send it by separate mail.

> As for the Sun questions, have you considered
> one the Usenet group for Solaris?

address@hidden was not of
much help for me with my second install attempt.
(But i learned about the existence of image
  solaris-textinstall-134-x86.iso
 by lurking since several months.)

I'll ask Seth whether he knows how to get a
/vol directory. It is also mentioned in the
man page of growisofs.

For exploring life without /vol, i dug in the
internet and made experiments by dvd+rw-tools.
  pkg install media/address@hidden

CD devices for dvd+rw-tools are supposed to
have addresses like
  /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2
Regrettably this seems to be like Linux sg a
general collection of all (pseudo-)SCSI devices.

c, t, d corresponds to cdrecord Bus,Target,Lun.
The meaning of s ("Solaris slice") in the context
of CD or DVD is unclear to me.
dvd+rw-mediainfo works with
  /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s0
and
  /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2
alike.

dvd+rw-mediainfo issues an SCSI command INQUIRY
and checks the first byte of the reply
    if ((inq[0]&0x1F) != 5)
        fprintf (stderr,":-( not an MMC unit!\n"),

SBC-3 mentions this with the description of
INQUIRY as "PERIPHERAL DEVICE TYPE". Table 83:
  Code Doc   Description
  05h  MMC-4 CD/DVD device

So this might be indeed a test to distinguish a
CD drive from a hard disk or USB stick.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas