libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio-0.83git on Solaris snv134 sees no drives

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: libcdio-0.83git on Solaris snv134 sees no drives
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 09:37:04 +0200

Hi,

> Thomas: when you are satisfied with a solution, post a patch here.

It will still last a few days.

Nevertheless, i seem to have my main use cases
working now. See end of this mail.

There is another level of consideration above
the mere technical Solaris tricks:

What about older systems which still have vold:

Shall the old /vol-addresses be used ?

Who could test whether they work with new
access mode MMC_RDWR ?

It is strange that the man page of growisofs
mentions /vol/.../cdrom* and /dev/rdsk/c* as
alternatives.
It would be interesting to know what the
volmgt function
  media_findname()
returns as device path of a /vol-address.

Possibly libcdio never dealt with /dev/dsk
but always with /dev/rdsk .
That would simplify our situation.

Else i would need to know which access mode
is for /dev/dsk and which for /dev/rdsk.

Does anybody have an idea why growisofs loads
  void *secdb = dlopen("libsecdb.so.1",RTLD_LAZY);
and inquires
  chkauthattr("solaris.device.cdrw", ...)
rather than just trying to open the device ?
If !chkauthattr() then it errors with EACCESS.

This looks like a workaround for a bug.
But which and where ?

State of sketching:

I do not yet know how to reduce SATA speed to
1.5 GBps so that my eSATA box would work
properly. So i had to replug to USB which yields
a new address for the burner.

I can list drives by /dev or by Bus,Target,Lun,
and i can burn multiple sessions to CD-RW and
DVD+RW. (Hald seems not to interfere negatively
for now. A miracle !)

$ pfexec cdrskin/cdrskin -scanbus
cdrskin 0.8.1 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
scsibus3:
        3,0,0     0) 'TSSTcorp' 'DVD-ROM SH-D162C' 'TS04' Removable CD-ROM
scsibus4:
        4,0,0     1) 'TSSTcorp' 'CDDVDW SH-S223B ' 'SB02' Removable CD-ROM

$ pfexec cdrskin/cdrskin --devices
cdrskin 0.8.1 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
0  dev='/dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2'  r----- :  'TSSTcorp'  'DVD-ROM SH-D162C'
1  dev='/dev/rdsk/c4t0d0s2'  r----- :  'TSSTcorp'  'CDDVDW SH-S223B'

$ pfexec xorriso/xorriso -for_backup -dev /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0s2 -blank as_needed
-add /home/thomas
Media current: CD-RW
Media status : is blank
Written to media  : 35030 sectors at LBA 0
Writing to '/dev/rdsk/c4t0d0s2' completed sucessfully.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas