libcdio-devel

Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio-0.83git on Solaris

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] libcdio-0.83git on Solaris
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:56:46 -0400

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> attached is my proposal how to make the Solaris
> driver capable of detecting drives without vold,
> and how to implement access mode MMC_RDWR.
>
> There are still some problems to solve:

> Executing SCSI commands needs superuser
> authority. I do not know yet, whether there
> is a finer granulated way to aquire the right
> to perform the uscsi ioctl.

It has been a while, but I think have running a suid program would be
sufficient. And going further it might be that being in the right
administrative group with would be okay too.

> When inserting a CD with 5000 files in four
> sessions, the operating system rattles the
> drive for about 30 seconds.
> During that time it is nearly impossible
> to do own read operations. The drive even
> reports read errors in SCSI sense reply.
> I suspect my old enemy hald behind that. >:[

> MMC_RDWR_EXCL does not yet trigger a locking
> attempt. I need to learn more about Solaris.

> There are two alternative ways to identify
> CD drives among the /dev/rdsk devices:
>
> - perform SCSI command INQUIRY and look for
>  CD-ROM code 5 in byte 0 of reply.
>  This relies on SCSI specs SPC-3.
>
> - perform ioctl(DKIOCINFO) and check .dki_ctype
>  whether it is DKC_CDROM.
>  This relies on Solaris man dkio.
>  libcdio already used ioctl(DKIOCGMEDIAINFO)
>  and included <dkio.h>

I don't any reason not to do this. Do you?

> See #ifdef LIBCDIO_SOLARIS_WITH_CD_INQUIRY
> Currently it is not defined. I.e. DKIO gets used.

I gather by this you are suggesting adding an option to libcdio's configure
script. I am not opposed to that if you can show a benefit in some
circumstances. Right now it is not clear what the benefit is of forcing SCSI
INQUIRY over DKIO. Do we know what the benefit is?