libcdio-help

Re: [Libcdio-help] Does libcdio can work with macOS (Mac OS X)?

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-help] Does libcdio can work with macOS (Mac OS X)?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 08:31:36 -0400

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 7:52 AM, 桃源老師 <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Rocky-san,

Thanks for kind support...

> 2017/09/16 午後8:25、Rocky Bernstein <address@hidden>のメール:
>
> Do the libcdio tests succeed? Or are you still getting a testdevices error like you did before?

Well, I have succeeded to run libcdio tools including cd-paranoia.  But make check still fails as follows:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make  check-TESTS
PASS: abs_path
PASS: bincue
PASS: cdda
PASS: cdrdao
SKIP: freebsd
SKIP: gnu_linux
PASS: logger
FAIL: mmc_read
FAIL: mmc_write
PASS: nrg
FAIL: osx
PASS: realpath
SKIP: solaris
PASS: track
SKIP: win32
Testsuite summary for libcdio 0.94
# TOTAL: 15
# PASS:  8
# SKIP:  4
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  3
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
See test/driver/test-suite.log
Please report to https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=libcdio

Does this mean something wrong?

It means MMC commands aren't working on macosx.  If you run the tests individually, e.g. test/drive/mmc_read  you'll get more information on what is wrong.

The two most obvious problems are not having permission to access the drive and the program not being able determine
the correct drive.

> As for the linker error, that is easily explained because "-Wl,-framework,DiskArbitration"  is missing in the ffmpeg link command.

> When you see the configure message "checking for DiskArbitration framework... yes" those linker options are added.

OK.  I'll tell ffmpeg team above.  Doesn't it required in pkgconfig file, *.pc on your side?

Yes it does. When I checked on my test system in libcdio.pc that string was in there. So you should check too to make sure it
is not a problem on your side as opposed to the FFMpeg side.

> So how does ffmpeg determine what linker options to provide?

I think they uses pkgconfig.   Oh am I correctly answer your question?

Yes, if that's how it works.

> To be clear, I don't expect the last release of libcdio to work on High Sierra. Only the git version will work.

OK. I understand.

> Yes, the the failure in creating the manual cd-drive.1 can be ignored.

OK. I understand.

> The git for libcdio-paranoia is on github: https://github.com/rocky/libcdio-paranoia  but in contrast to libcdio, what is in git pretty much matches (if not exactly) the last release.

So is it OK to use last release version for libcdio-paranoia?

Yes

> To build documentation, one needs to run configure with
> the switch --enable-maintainer-mode. This is done for when you run the autogen.sh script which is what you are told to do in "README.develop". I will be more explicit in the documentation about that. However when you build the documentation you need to make sure you move more packages installed like texinfo and help2man. That is also mentioned in README.develop

I have tried to add --enable-maintainer-mode in configure option, since my system does not have GNU Help2man,
it failed.  So I use commenting line 507.

Best Regards,

// Miya aka. TougenRoushi