libconf-dev

Re: [Libconf-dev] Generic services API

From: dams
Subject: Re: [Libconf-dev] Generic services API
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:19:02 +0200

"Brian J. Murrell" <address@hidden> said:

> I sent a message buried deep in a thread on the Mandrake Cooker list
> about a "services" management tool/API.  I want to echo that here, as
> this is something that should fall under the Libconf project.

[...]

> But the goal should be a complete "service" configuration interface for
> the user, not 3 different interfaces each needing overlapping
> information, and each different depending on which implementation of the
> component is used.
>
> Thots?

This is a good idea, it's slightly the same goal as the global libconf project.
If you look at the global diagram here :

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/LibconfProject

You'll see that it's what we want to do.
But it needs some explainations. On the diagramm you'll find :

libconf : this is the very low level parser, that parses a single config file.
glueconf : this is the middle layer, it provides a very convenient structure
representing a
single config file
systemconf : this is the upper layer, it provides a very convenient structure
representing a configuration theme, like "network", "printing system", or "X
configuration", that rely on multiple glueconf structure, ie multiple different
config files.

In addition, I'd like to add high level function into the system conf modules,
like addPrinter('cups', 'usb', 'local',...), or addADSLConnection('pppoe',
'ethernet', 'eth1')...

These high level functions would ease the construction of wizards.

For now a systemconf module is static, we should introduce some provide/require
system. Because a systemconf module is composed of glueconf modules, I think
each glueconf module should tells what it provides (postfix glueconf would
provide AAA). And the systemconf module would require AAA.

I'll send a mail in some days that sum up what we want to do (nothing frozen),
and an ordered list of what we have to implement.

--
dams