libextractor

Re: [libextractor] BUG wrong VBR bitrate

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libextractor] BUG wrong VBR bitrate
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:58:47 +0100

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply.  I've so far been unable to find a VBR mp3 to begin
with, which makes this problem harder for me to reproduce.  Furthermore, there
is an inherent limitation in how LE calculates VBRs, which is that it takes a
(limited) number of samples, not the entire file, for the calculation.  So if
you have a VBR mp3 that initially has roughly 128 kbps and later more, this
would still be the expected result (scanning the entire file is something I
would consider too expensive).

Now, the calculations done might be wrong, but they look fine -- and I'm not
an expert on mp3 to begin with.  If someone could show me where
mp3_extractor.c is wrong here (ideally with a sample mp3), I'll of course be
happy to look into this some more or integrate a patch.

Happy hacking,

Christian