Re: [libmicrohttpd] strange latencies using libmicrohttpd w/sendfile

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] strange latencies using libmicrohttpd w/sendfile
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:06:15 +0200

Hi!

There is no "strong" reason why we should not use O_NONBLOCK in some cases;
the reasons why we don't use it so far are:

1) with pthreads, we WANT to be blocking (so your patch would have to be
   setting the mode only for the non-threaded modes (thread-pool is OK))
2) takes an extra system call to set the non-blocking flag (which should not
   be necessary since we use select/poll)
3) if there is a bug where we read/write twice without a select in the middle,
   we'd notice it faster

I don't really think (2) is a good reason given your problem.  So if you make
sure to not do non-blocking in case (1) and you're pretty sure that it is not
because somehow we're in case (3) --- which would surprise me, but there are
always bugs... --- then I'd say moving to non-blocking should be fine.

Happy hacking

-Christian