[libmicrohttpd] Dropping shutdown() on the listening socket from MHD_sto

From: Lennart Poettering
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] Dropping shutdown() on the listening socket from MHD_stop_daemon()?
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:03:17 +0200

Heya,

we are using libmicrohttpd for two mini daemons in systemd, and we use
it with socket activation, so that the daemons do not have to run
unless requested. There's a certain problem though: libmicrohttpd when
shutting down invokes shutdown() on the listening fd. This has the
effect that the kernel really shuts it down and it will not accept new
connections anymore. When using socket activation we really would like
it to continue to listen, so that we can start it again should one day
come another connection.

It's OK to invoke shutdown() on connection sockets, but I can't see a
reason why you would want to invoke it on the listening socket. Hence,
could this invocation of shutdown() be removed from MHD_stop_daemon()?
Is there any reason it is in there in the first place?

Thanks,

Lennart