[libmicrohttpd] How to send a binary payload (octet-stream)?

From: silvioprog
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] How to send a binary payload (octet-stream)?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 00:50:17 -0300

Hi dudes!

Consider the following file:

http://brook.no-ip.org/download/content.bin

request:

# debugdump.txt just for debuging
$ url --header "Content-Type:application/octet-stream" --trace-ascii debugdump.txt --data-binary @content.bin http://localhost:9090

and example:
#include <microhttpd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

static int answer_to_connection(void *cls, struct MHD_Connection *connection, const char *url, const char *method,
const char *version, const char *upload_data, size_t *upload_data_size,
void **con_cls) {
if (!*con_cls) {
*con_cls = (void *) 1;
return MHD_YES;
}
*con_cls = NULL;
printf("*upload_data_size: %zd\n", *upload_data_size);
return MHD_NO;
}

int main(void) {
struct MHD_Daemon *daemon;
daemon = MHD_start_daemon(MHD_USE_SELECT_INTERNALLY, 9090, NULL, NULL, &answer_to_connection, NULL, MHD_OPTION_END);
getchar();
MHD_stop_daemon(daemon);
return 0;
}
the result is:

*upload_data_size: 1995

but the upload_data buffer contains only 746 characters. OK, my file is a binary that contains some NULLs, so it should be sent via multipart/form-data, however, I've tested it with other servers and the binary content is sent properly as application/octet-stream. (eg. NodeJS uses its req.buffer to get octet-streams)

It seems MHD's payload (upload_data) ends with first NULL character. So, is there any chance to get a binary content without using HTML forms?

Thank you!

--
Silvio Clécio