libreboot-dev

[Libreboot-dev] Winphlash versus hinitial hardwareflash

From: Karsten Maurer
Subject: [Libreboot-dev] Winphlash versus hinitial hardwareflash
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 22:34:37 +0200

Hi folks,

I have bricked my x200 by experementing with winphlash (Lenovos / Phoenix flashing windows software) -> Beaglebone is on its way.

By doing so I'd like to aks if you already thought about hacks to do libreboots initial flash via "winphlash" so we could save the pain of disassembling the Hardware (especially T400/500).

Me myself would not be happy to use win-sw to free the system but I would favor it for the T400/500. If everything works you don't need a flasher and don't have to worry about cpu-paste and broken things. T60 SW-initial flash was a no brainer (10 minutes) and X200 will be easy because of chip location. But T400 / T500 is another story :->

It's just an idea. If it (winphlash) needs lots of  reverse engineering I suppose the time is better invested on other tasks as far as a solution (inital hardware-flash) is given.

After all I would like to thank you so much for working for freedom.

I would like to tell you what happened ordering the beaglebone. I am in germany and could not get the ic-testclip locally, so I ordered it in USA. Getting a good price I added the beaglebone to the order as far as I obviously need on ;-). Guess what happened. US hardware dealer asked ("US government needs") to sign an "EndUserCertificate". Within I got asked "Specify the End Use for this product", "no government member", "no military menber",...

They (nsa) broke my trust in anything with a cpu, you search for solutions (libreboot) and doing so you get asked such questions. I know that it is not libreboot related, but hey its a minicomputer. You can't by a (this) flasher at this dealer (any dealer?) and export it fom us to europe without getting asked questions and get registered (!). Hallelujah, that was kind of situation comedy / spooky.

Folks, thank you!

cheers lopiuh