libreboot

[Libreboot] Bricked T60

From: Hadrien
Subject: [Libreboot] Bricked T60
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 23:57:14 +0100

Hello,

I hope I am writing to the right ML.

I tried to flash libreboot on a ThinkPad T60; however, I wanted to have
SeaBIOS rather than GRUB2 as the main payload, so I built the ROM from
sources with a modicum of hacking. Unfortunately, I somewhat botched the
process, and after the first flash, I encountered many problems:

1. The LCD panel did not light up, and did not display any picture, yet
it is compatible according to
<http://libreboot.org/docs/hcl/index.html#supported_list>.
2. The VGA output was mostly garbage, though I managed to read some
error messages.
  a. SeaBIOS succeded in booting Linux.
  b. Then the kernel complained about low memory errors.
  c. Finally there was a kernel panic.

Obviously I wanted to recover from this. Misinterpreting a remark on
this website:
<https://github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/ThinkPad-T60> ("If
the laptop turns on, but doesn't boot at all; and there is absolutely no
sounds or sign of life, Libreboot might have been flashed incorrectly.
It is still possible to return to the Lenovo BIOS by disabling bucts
1"), I took the (wrong) decision to remove the CMOS battery (without
having performed a second flash), and, as I now understand, I now have a
corrupted ROM on the chip, with the last 64kb from the original BIOS and
the rest from the new ROM. This brings about a bricking symptom: the
laptop does not boot anymore and beeps three times (one long, two short).

As the T60 is bricked, I tried to unbrick it with an external
programmer, according to the instructions here:
<http://libreboot.org/docs/install/t60_unbrick.html>. My chip is a
Macronix and I tried to wire the programmer as follows:

8765
----
|  |
----
1234

1- CS
2- MISO
3- unwired
4- GND
5- MOSI
6- CLK
7- unwired
8- 3.3V

But the chip is not very chatty:
  flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=/dev/ttyUSB0 -r test.rom
fails to detect the chip:
  Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI).
I attached the log with full verbosity. (the output is similar if I do
not wire the 8th pin and plug the AC adapter to supply the board instead)

Now, well, I'm stuck :) Thanks very much if anyone has any piece of advice!
--
Hadrien