libreboot

[Libreboot] Thinkpad T60 "Supported" LCD Not Working

From: Joshua Bowren
Subject: [Libreboot] Thinkpad T60 "Supported" LCD Not Working
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:49:35 -0400

I recently installed libreboot on my Thinkpad T60 originally with the untested LCD panel LTD141ECMB. As I suspected the panel had issues. Only half of the screen was used, it was green, blurred, and had lines on the part that was not used. I ordered a LTN141P4-L02 LCD which the libreboot project lists as "Tested." After plugging in the new LCD nothing came up. No backlight and no pixels. Just the LCD as it was before the screen was turned on. I also replaced the inverter board with FRU P/N 41W1478 as the libreboot page said this panel was recommended for its inverter board. It did not help either, but the display on the original panel stopped having lines on the right part of the LCD.

With lenovobios the backlight came on with both the original and new inverter board, but it still did not work. With the old inverter board I had a quick faint showing of the Thinkpad logo when starting, but it quickly went away.

After some research it seems the panel I have might be for a T43 or is generic. The EDID information might not be for a T60, but I heard this would be a problem for the lenovobios as it would reject the LCD.

While switching back and forth from LCDs it seems I blew inverter fuse. I probably won't be able to do any more tests soon until I replace the fuse/solder the connection, but I still want to know why it did not work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.