libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] Bricked my c201

From: Paul Kocialkowski
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Bricked my c201
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:22:26 +0100

Hi,

Le mercredi 16 décembre 2015 à 01:27 +0100, Albin a écrit :
> Den 2015-12-14 kl. 19:39, skrev Paul Kocialkowski:
> > Le jeudi 10 décembre 2015 à 22:42 +0100, Albin a écrit :
> >> Pressing Ctrl+U results in a *beep*, i.e. the Debian kernel on the SD
> >> card won't get loaded.
> >
> > Make sure you set up the partitions correctly. It has to be an EFI
> > filesystem and I recall that some special properties for CrOS have to be
> > set.
>
> I tried to follow the Debian guide exactly so I didn't try to do
> anything else than what's written here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/C201
>
> Either there is something wrong with the guide or I made mistakes when
> when trying to follow it.

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the guide is missing or
overlooking some steps. I don't have the device with me at the moment to
check what exactly should be done to set up an external boot media, but
I could try to look into it and write something up about it sometime
soon.

Either way, it's hard to find out exactly why it's refusing to boot
externally, provided that Libreboot still shows the warning about
external media booting being enabled. Still, it is probably either about
the kernel you extracted not being in the right format or the partitions
not being set up correctly.

Perhaps you could send me the kernel file you extracted (I'm not sure I
have a backup of mine) and I could prepare a known-to-work disk image
for you to boot from.

If that fails, it might mean that you'll have to relfash the SPI flash
with an image that allows running unsigned kernels, which will give us
more flexibility.

Either way, your device is not lost and I'm confident there will always
be a way to straighten it out. If you feel like you don't want to pull
this off yourself, we could see about you sending me the device so that
I do what's needed to fix it.

> >> Pressing CTRL+D, i.e. booting from internal
> >> memory, gives me the screen "Welcome to recovery mode! Please insert an
> >> external recovery media.".
> >>
> >> Previously, even with libreboot, I could boot ChromeOS from internal
> >> memory with boot_signed_only enabled. Now I can't boot at all!
> >>
> >> I never got to the part about installing to the internal memory so I
> >> don't understand what's happened.
> >>
> >> Do you have any idea about could have gone wrong and what I can do to
> >> recover?
> >
> > That's strange. If all you did was extract the kernel and set
> > "crossystem dev_boot_signed_only=1", there is no reason why it would
> > refuse booting. That is, assuming that you didn't already replace
> > ChromeOS with something else.
>
> It's possible that I made a mistake that damaged both the ChromeOS
> install and the SD image that I was trying to create since there were a
> long series of commands that had to be entered as root.

Let's go with the assumption that internal boot is broken for now and
that your best shot is to boot externally now, so we have to figure out
why it isn't working.

Cheers,

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: https://redmine.replicant.us/