libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] tasks for first libreboot stable release in 2016

From: Bruno Dantas
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] tasks for first libreboot stable release in 2016
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 12:59:29 -0400

I took the plunge and flashed the 2016-May-08 libreboot rom on my T400.

Everything went smoothly. No issues with the flash process nor with
booting my system afterward. Only two comments with regard to possible
improvements prior to the stable release:

1. When using linux 4.3 or 4.4, the kernel still cannot read the
hardware clock during boot (something having to do with directisa). I
thought this was fixed upstream in coreboot and that the fix was already
in libreboot. It was a bit disappointing to upgrade libreboot and still
have this problem.

2. Libreboot's previous default of parsing partitions for
/boot/grub/libreboot_grub.cfg is gone. Now it seems it is happy to parse
any /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which makes it impossible to specify which of
the many grub.cfg files on a multiboot system (such as mine) libreboot
should use. I was able to restore the previous default by using cbfstool
and replacing "for name in '' autoboot_ libreboot_ coreboot_; do" with
"for name in autoboot_ libreboot_ coreboot_; do" in libreboot's grub
payload. IMHO the previous default should continue to be the default.

Cheers,
Bruno