libreboot

[Libreboot] Zero-day vulnerability - system management mode arbitrary co

From: Duncan Guthrie
Subject: [Libreboot] Zero-day vulnerability - system management mode arbitrary code execution
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 00:52:11 +0100

Hi all,
Poking around the internet, I happened upon this page:
https://github.com/Cr4sh/ThinkPwn
This is an exploit for System Management Mode of Intel x86 CPUs, tested on a
number of recent models, including Lenovo ThinkPads, and tested on some other
models including an HP Pavilion laptop. This suggests that this vulnerability
exists in a wide range of recent Intel hardware. The page links to this
extensive blog post:
http://blog.cr4.sh/2016/06/exploring-and-exploiting-lenovo.html
What excites me about this is that as we are running code at such a low level,
we might in theory be able to bypass the Intel ME signature checking and
similar "protections", and run unsigned BIOS software. This would be great for
Libreboot.
Can anyone else comment on this? I am quite excited at the potential of this,
especially as it seems to be able to target many new models of Intel hardware,
perhaps even Intel hardware produced this year, as Intel, as far as I know,
didn't introduce any major design changes for a long time as they did not need
to.
Thanks,
D.