libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] MacBook 2,1: reduce CPU temperature

From: Albin
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] MacBook 2,1: reduce CPU temperature
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:16:35 +0200

Hi,

Den 2016-08-18 kl. 21:52, skrev Marcel Maci:

> Hello Albin,
> I started like you, drilling only a few holes at the beginning because, of
> course, you don't want to do damage to your computer. But I think that the
> more holes you make the better the airflow is (as you can see on the photos I
> ended up with about 25 holes ...)
> Don't understand why it got louder though (what kind of noise is it?
> Vibration? Or do you hear the spinnig of the fan?)

The latter, especially when I lift the computer up in the air.

> Other factors that have an influence are:
> 1. Outlet for the air (towards the screen): make sure you clean any dust from
> the "copper lamella" where the air passes through

The outlet, and the machine in general, was very clean both before and
after I drilled the holes.

> 2. Some space underneath the MacBook so that the air can circulate (normally
> with the standard "feet" you have just 1-2 mm which is good, you can improve
> the result by putting something underneath the MB at the back)

This seems to make no difference. If I start a few demanding
applications such as Gnome Maps plus Hedgewars, then the computer
quickly reaches 80 degrees and it makes no difference (other than in
terms of fan noise) if I lift it up from the floor. If I don't use the
machine much it's usually around 60--65 degrees, both now and before I
made the eight holes.

> If you install the sensors package you can monitor cpu temperature an fan
> speed with:
> watch -n 1 "sensors | grep Core"
> watch -n 1 "sensors | grep RPM"

I knew about the sensors package but this is the first time I see that
command. Thanks!

> Hope this helps and greetings,
> Marcel

I think I will drill a few more holes.