librefm-announce

[Librefm-announce] Libre.fm news for October 2010

From: Matt Lee
Subject: [Librefm-announce] Libre.fm news for October 2010
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:20:26 -0400

This is a very occasional email sent to all current Libre.fm users.

Forgot your password? http://alpha.libre.fm/reset.php

Update/delete your account? http://alpha.libre.fm/user-edit.php

Libre.fm news for October 2010
==============================

* Libre.fm is moving!
* Foo Communications is go.
* Upcoming European Tour
* FSCONS!
* Import your Last.fm listening data!
* The next generation of Libre.fm
* Are you listening to the podcast?

#####################################

## Libre.fm is moving!

Thanks to our friends at ISC and Bytemark, Libre.fm will soon be
moving to a new bank of high-speed servers in both California and
the UK. This will allow us to do much more and not suffer the
slowdowns we've experienced in the past.

However, if you're using still using a manually entered IP
address in your hosts file to send things to us, you will need to
update this when we move, so we want to give you plenty of
warning.

If this means absolutely nothing to you, you're probably okay,
but when we started out, it was the best way to get your
statistics into the site.

If you have any questions, or aren't sure if you're affected,
please email us at address@hidden and we'll work hard to make
sure the transition is as smooth as possible.

#####################################

## Foo Communications is go!

Foo Communications LLC, the company formed by Libre.fm founders
Matt Lee and Rob Myers is finally active. After some minor
complications with corporate naming regulations, we've settled on
'Foo Communications LLC' which is both suitably vague, with an
air of mid-90s corporate fallacy in the mix. Perfect.

When we're not making Libre.fm and GNU social, we try and make
music and TV shows. We've still not quite finished publishing our
first book, too. Help us do more things by becoming one of our
venture customers -- http://foocorp.net/foovc/

Join our mailing list for exciting news unrelated to Libre.fm:

#####################################

## Upcoming European Tour

Do you live in the cities of Amsterdam, Gothenberg, Liverpool,
Manchester, Leeds, York, Peterborough, Nottingham, London, Exeter
or Plymouth? If you do, please consider coming along and having a
drink and a chat with us during November, as we swiftly pass
through your city on our whirlwind European tour.

Get on the mailing list for more information, up-to-the-minute
information on when and where we'll be, or just to get updates on
how badly hungover we are on the seventh day of the tour.

    http://foocorp.net/european-tour-2010

#####################################

## FSCONS!

In the spirit of European shenanigans, Matt will indeed be
speaking at FSCONS about free software things. If you're not
going to FSCONS yet, time is running out. Get yourself a cheap
European flight to Gothenburg, Sweden for November 5-7th.

Use the coupon code 'GNUS' at http://fscons.org/ to get a 20%
discount.

#####################################

## Import your Last.fm listening data!

Do you use Last.fm? Did you use it in the past? Take advantage of
their awesomeness and export a copy of your listening data!

Possible uses for your Last.fm listening data:

 * Showing how you've matured, musically by laughing at
   embarrassing 2004-you's listening to now-forgotten bands.

 * Construct an elaborate spreadsheet of your music listening
   habits, make some pretty pie-charts and go scrap-booking!

 * Import it into Libre.fm using Last2Libre --
   http://bugs.libre.fm/wiki/LastToLibre

Tell us how you took advantage of this, and we'll pick the best
idea and send you a Libre.fm t-shirt -- address@hidden

#####################################

## The next generation of Libre.fm

Ideas are now brewing for the next generation of Libre.fm. Given
our distinct lack of social-networking features, and the fact
we're working on GNU social, a new kind of social network, with
decentralization features and more (mostly thanks to the work of
GNU social hacker, Craig Andrews and the kind beneficiaries at
Status.net), we'd like to hear YOUR ideas for what you'd like to
see in the next version of Libre.fm...

 * Really want to be able to upload your own free music, directly
   to the site?

 * Desktop application for listening to Libre.fm at work?

 * Mike Sheldon bobblehead toys?

No idea is a bad idea (unless it's a Mike Sheldon bobblehead toy)
so please send your ideas to address@hidden or really help us
out and file them in our bug tracker at
http://bugs.foocorp.net/projects/fm/issues/

#####################################

## Are you listening to the podcast?

The Libre.fm podcast is awesome. Every 30 days or so,
faux-Welshman and bobblehead protege, Mike Sheldon cranks out
another selection of your favorite free music from Libre.fm --
even featuring the occasional guest too. Plus, the whole thing is
recorded using Mike's other free software project, Jokosher!

And if you don't like people talking to you between songs, you
can just grab a copy of the music, too.

  * http://libre.fm/podcast

#####################################

## Reminder: we're here to help!

We're always here to help you. If you have questions, ideas,
suggestions or complaints, please email us at address@hidden
or, if you're looking for even quicker responses, please file a
ticket in our issue tracker:

  * http://bugs.foocorp.net/projects/fm/issues/

And if you're really in the mood for chat, join us in #libre.fm
on the Freenode network.

As always, you can also email me (Matt Lee) personally -- address@hidden

Happy listening!

matt