librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free m

From: Matija Šuklje
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Libre.fm as the central place for obtaining free music
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:15:56 +0100

Dne sreda 3. marca 2010 ob 01:10:29 je Fabian A. Scherschel napisal(a):
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Blaise Alleyne <address@hidden> wrote:
> > You can "uncopyright" a song by releasing it into the public domain (e.g.
> > CC0 waiver), and there are non-copyleft free licences (e.g. CC BY). I
> > think
>
> From what I've heard it's pretty doubtful within the legal community
> that this actually works. That was what I was referring to.

As Fabian said, using the CC-0 waiver you do not just globally opt out of your
copyright altogether. You just waive your author's and neighbouring rights to
the fullest extend still tolerable by law (in the country). Only a few legal
systems allow you to waive all the rights so you can just release it into the
public domain. Then there's also the problem with "orphan works", but that'd
be a bit too specific for this thread.

The Public Domain Manifesto[1] talks pretty good about this problem and offers
a decent solution.

BTW, for coherence's sake shouldn't we rather open a new thread to discuss
what "free" in "free music" means for Libre.fm and how this will be solved?

Cheers,
Matija
-.-.-
[1] http://publicdomainmanifesto.org