librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] Use of LIbre.FM

From: Mike Sheldon
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] Use of LIbre.FM
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:10:12 +0100

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Andrew Armstrong <address@hidden> wrote:
My game is not open source and in the long run is intended for release. Can I use the libre.fm developers service to write some code to have streaming audio into my game from libre.fm? I believe technically this should be quite easy but are there any legal implications?

(Oops, failed to send this to the list last time)

Hi Andy,

 We only stream music released under what we consider to be fully free licenses (so we don't allow for Non-Commerical or Non-Derivative licenses). So you should be able to include our streams in your game without any trouble.

 The only thing I can think of that you'll need to be aware of is the need to give attribution to any music played. There are a number of ways you could do this however, e.g. showing the current artist's name and track in game when a new track plays might be best as it'll allow people to see what music they like and possible look the artist up. Another alternative would be to collect a list of the artists played throughout a session and display them in a dynamically generated "Credits" page at the end of the game.

 Keep us updated on what you're doing, it sounds like an interesting project and a novel use of our data :).

Cheers,
 Mike.