libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Projects and common hosted GNU social and Jabber/XMPP

From: Rudolf Olah
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Projects and common hosted GNU social and Jabber/XMPP
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 12:59:13 +0100 (BST)

and just got owncloud installed. the interface is nice and the calendar is a good app.

This is pretty straight forward so far. HTTPS and all the password and configuration seems to be the major issue (plus domain name and server purchasing) in terms of user (un-)friendliness.

I'm going to start putting together a presentation on this stuff; at work we're using google drive and dropbox and owncloud...it's way better not just for freedom reasons but in terms of quality and price which makes it easier to convince people to use it (not everyone is a fan of software freedom unfortunately).

feel free to ask for an account for owncloud

-rudolf

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

31. Mar 2016 07:13 by address@hidden:

Hi everyone,

I've got a server up and running on Gandi http://www.gandi.net. It's a little annoying that I had to pay extra for IPv4 but IPv6 is apparently barely supported and I can't convince the routers to act as IPv6 routes ;-)

https://prosody.im Prosody's default config lacks encryption but it's good enough that you only need to add a VirtualHost with a domain and some accounts and it'll work. Right now I have to add the accounts manually. I also added the MUC Multi User Chat component so Jabber/XMPP can act like IRC.

Federation is acting funky at the moment, I'm trying to talk to myself using the FSF jabber account (become a member of the FSF to get one: https://fsf.org/associate/benefits) and it isn't working, will sort it out later.

I'm installing ownCloud but I think 1gb RAM won't be enough when I get around to install GNU Social and Murmer (the Mumble server).

If anyone wants accounts for Jabber (or the other stuff that will eventually be setup), let me know
-rudolf

--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com

24. Mar 2016 18:42 by address@hidden:

Just created a small section for projects on the LibrePlanet wiki: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario#Projects

On mumble during our meeting we can discuss, but so far I'd like to set up GNU social and Jabber, in particular the Prosody server which has federation enabled.

Choosing the VPS has been a little harder than usual because we want to pick a provider that supports free software. So far Gandi is the pick because they don't offer Windows services at all, unfortunately they don't go further and have core boot servers and I think their control panel is proprietary (waiting for a reply on that).

Please feel free to suggest a free software friendly VPS. I'd like to move on this as soon as possible.

-rudolf