libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] licenses

From: Daniel Villarreal
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] licenses
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:31:34 -0500

Thanks, Matt,

On 08/04/16 11:55 AM, Matt Lee wrote:
> Free Culture? 12 year old movement.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Culture_(book)

Thanks. I'm seeing this mentioned quite a bit here in Canada.

> I don't see what restrictions Red Hat is placing on you?

(keep the following on one line)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Fedora_Project_Contributor_Agreemen
- --- begin quote ---

"Current Default License", with respect to a Contribution, means (i)
if the Contribution is Code, the MIT License, and (ii) if the
Contribution is Content, CC-BY-SA supplemented by Moral Rights Clause
Waiver and GPL Relicensing Permission.

""CC-BY-SA" means the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0
Unported license, as published at
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode>."

"... CC-BY-SA supplemented by Moral Rights Clause Waiver..."

`"Moral Rights Clause Waiver" means a waiver of the right to enforce,
and an agreement not to assert, Section 4d of CC-BY-SA against the
Fedora Community, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.'

- --- end quote ---

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode
- --- begin quote ---
4. Restrictions. The license granted in Section 3 above is expressly
made subject to and limited by the following restrictions:
d. Except as otherwise agreed in writing by the Licensor or as may be
otherwise permitted by applicable law, if You Reproduce, Distribute or
Publicly Perform the Work either by itself or as part of any
Adaptations or Collections, You must not distort, mutilate, modify or
take other derogatory action in relation to the Work which would be
prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or reputation. Licensor
agrees that in those jurisdictions (e.g. Japan), in which any exercise
of the right granted in Section 3(b) of this License (the right to
make Adaptations) would be deemed to be a distortion, mutilation,
modification or other derogatory action prejudicial to the Original
Author's honor and reputation, the Licensor will waive or not assert,
as appropriate, this Section, to the fullest extent permitted by the
applicable national law, to enable You to reasonably exercise Your
right under Section 3(b) of this License (right to make Adaptations)
but not otherwise.

Section 3(b) follows...
'3. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this
License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free,
non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable
copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:

b. to create and Reproduce Adaptations provided that any such
Adaptation, including any translation in any medium, takes reasonable
steps to clearly label, demarcate or otherwise identify that changes
were made to the original Work. For example, a translation could be
marked "The original work was translated from English to Spanish," or
a modification could indicate "The original work has been modified.";'

- --- end quote ---

I'm no lawyer, attorney, barrister, or solicitor... but when I'm asked
if I want to give up my rights, I want to really understand what is
involved.

I will research this more.

- --
Daniel Villarreal
youcanlinux.org
address@hidden
PGP key 2F6E 0DC3 85E2 5EC0 DA03  3F5B F251 8938 A83E 7B49
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF2518938A83E7B49