[libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: routerOS

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: routerOS
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 09:31:23 -0500

I see that RouterOS has the Linux kernel which is under the GPL. Should it (RouterOS) be free software too?
From their wiki:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_RouterOS_Frequently_Asked_Questions_-_FAQ#What_is_MikroTik_RouterOS.E2.84.A2.3F

What does MikroTik RouterOS™ do?
MikroTik RouterOS™ is a router operating system and software which turns a regular Intel PC or MikroTik RouterBOARD™ hardware into a dedicated router.
Can I test the MikroTik RouterOS™ functionality before I buy the license?
Yes, you can download the installation from MikroTik's webpage and install your own MikroTik router. The router has full functionality without the need for a license key for 24h total running time. That's enough time to test the router for 3 days at 8h a day, if you shut down the router at the end of each 8h day.
What OS do I need to install the MikroTik RouterOS™?
No Operating System is needed. The MikroTik RouterOS™ comes with its own Operating System and Software. The OS is Linux kernel based and very stable. Your hard drive will be wiped completely by the installation process. No additional disk support, just one PRIMARY MASTER HDD or FlashDisk, except for WEB proxy cache.

--
Saludos/Greetings
Quiliro Ordóñez