[libreplanet-discuss] Free Software and Education

From: Joel Kahn
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software and Education
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:25:03 -0800 (PST)

Wayne wrote:
>One of the things I would like to see in the future is the general use of free
>software in
>school districts and classrooms, rather than the current system of corporate
>indoctrination
>with microsoft and apple products. I always wonder how my own understanding of
>computers
>would have developed had I been introduced to GNU/Linux at an early age...

Just in case there are people reading this who are not familiar with
SchoolForge,
I strongly encourage you to take a look:

https://schoolforge.net/

I have been a member of the schoolforge-discuss mailing list for years, and I
can
testify that the group includes many dedicated people who have lots of knowledge
and experience in the use of Free Software in education. Part of that experience
covers bringing the Free Software idea to schools that (for whatever reasons)
are
cautious or even hostile to abandoning their old proprietary mindset.

If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer them or refer the
questioner(s)
to folks more well-informed than me.

Joel