Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 23:14:28 +0100

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl> wrote:
All in all I would kick off with a campaign about free/libre,
decentralised social networks. That is of tremendous importance, as
people are waking up about privacy *right now*. If we provide them the
means to move away from closed/proprietary/centralised platforms (like
Facebook or Twitter), we will achieve a significant victory.

And I have an idea of just such an action. As the main thing that
keeps people from moving away from Facebook is the network effect[2],
we need to help them move in groups. As in, for example, organising an
"set-up a Free social network account day" or "close your Facebook
account day" each month or so, and having people pledge participation
on the action's website; having them log-in with their Facebook or
Twitter, etc, accounts and have their friends notified about that
fact.

Asking the "pledgers" to tell (in their own words, or by selecting
from the list) their particular motives for their move, so that the
message would be stronger ("I am leaving because I cannot get over the
privacy concerns"), while providing us with invaluable poll data about
what do people *really* care about these days.

That way people could see there are actually *many* among their
friends that are thinking of taking their business elsewhere. For
example - to free, decentralised alternatives.

After the day comes, people are reminded about the pledge, asked
whether they went through with it, notified about their friends that
did, etc - and, finally, suggested to move to a free-er operating
system or web browser or office suite while they're at it.

I think that would be our best "vector" here. Whaddya think?

I think this is a great idea! Using a switch to decentralised social networks, which must be done with groups of friends all at once, is a great way to turn their focus onto the value of freedom.