[libreplanet-discuss] Hardware for GNU Experimentation

From: Joel Kahn
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Hardware for GNU Experimentation
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 14:07:28 -0700 (PDT)

I'll make you folks a deal....

If you can arrange for me to get an old but still functioning laptop as a
donation (I'm a starving artist), I'll use it to experiment with totally Libre
software and see if we can turn all of these arguments into some real
(if small) steps. My wife can serve as a test subject; she is a public
school art teacher with moderate computer literacy, and two of her big
ongoing frustrations are the slow performance and frequent hangups of
our six-year-old Windblows XP Professional (ha-ha) desktop. If I can
demonstrate to her an absolutely Libre environment that consistently runs
more swiftly and reliably than MicroSlob, she is in a position to spread the
word to people who can do something--starting with her brother, who
serves on the local school board. If this goes well, a whole school district
could eventually be brought from Windblows Prison to the Land of Freedom.
But I can't experiment on our current home hardware. Anybody want to
provide evidence of how a *genuine* community works and send me a machine?

Joel