Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tack

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tackling Network Effect]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:42:33 +0200

Le 14/05/2012 18:35, Rudolf a écrit :

> Usenet and irc may be good models in terms of figuring out how to
> share costs/ownership?

(not English native, sorry for language mistakes)

The main problem is that we have not "network providers" but "service
providers", which services (included phone calls) are bundled with
connexion.

"Providers" tries to get rid on "end-to-end" appliances.

Usenet/nntp is (at least in France) most based on ISP's support, as so
as mail/smtp.

In fact, anyone can support a Usenet server, provided she has the
bandwidth required by her feeds/groups filtering, then having for pairs.
I would be surprised having my ISP as pair :)

And anyone can set up a mail server provided his f..n ISP let she out to
TCP/25 (mine hopefully let me set it up and give me a fixed ipv4, the
one from my aunt don't : I will try next time to set up "submission"
port on my box to stay online).

Officially, ISPs tries to get rid of SPAM, where SPAM is already 99% of
mail traffic...

I saw a few days ago for a video demonstrating a shared "wi-fi" network
for cellular phones which looks like great. Unfortunately, most cellular
phone providers are already blocking ports such as Skipe/whatever to
force their users to use "classic" phone calls, which in Europe is
already forbidden by regulation ("network neutrality") but never
respected. "wired" providers also blocking such services. And when not
technically blocked, this is forbidden by contract...

What I point here is : even if we set up a collaborative network on
IPv6, which will discard the "lack of IPs" problem, most *service*
providers "wired" or not will try to get their users captive.

The only way is to get a critical mass before they block, in such a way
consumer's associations will sue to get it online back, with or without
success.

Another solution would be to use port TCP/ 80/443 and mask the service
by encryption... which will break "contractually forbidden services"
then reports the problem on *individuals* (physical persons) with fewer
sueing mains.

But (see below)

> We can use the charity model and build it up into a federated model.
> For example, statusnet is federated and so is xmpp but there's no
> simple guide available for setting that up. There's no support group,
> there's no infrastructure basically.

Just use Usenet, create groups (there are plently "binaries" groups with
copyright break material), then use it post the mailaddress/ip pair :)

My opinion is that the better support would be on individual model
(pairing) and not on charity, which model works in USA but not everywhere.

Maybe a good solution would be to persuade ISPs to host themselves
that/these services as they are already hosting SMTP and NNTP.

This is transparent, as they provide these services to users, so they
don't claim on, but a good campagn would be "Imagine your ISP didn't
serves you e-mail ? Ask your ISP for XMPP/whatever hosting, same as she
hosts Mail for you"

T. Harding